Friday, July 30, 2010

By Mari from Tucson :)


It was a Wednesday after school and my mom told me we had to rush down to the high school, San Miguel, for a last-minute meeting between my mom, Mr.Moreno, Ms.Renteria and I. When I walked in I was told that there was a very important matter they had to discuss with me. I was then informed that five other students and I had been nominated to participate in an academic bootcamp in Winona, Minnesota at St. Mary's University. It would take place during our last two weeks of summer vacation. I made up my mind right there. It was an amazing opportunity and I could not say no. I applied and thank God I was accepted. I was told that I would be coming with this kid from Naco, Arizona. I was nervous of course, but more than anything excited. I met Javi once or twice before the trip then on June 23 we boarded our airplane at Tucson International Airport at 6 a.m.

I have now been here for a week and it's honestly been one of the best times of my life. Edith (program coordinator) was here and has been here with constant open arms along with the other home and university teachers here with us. I've made some really great friends and truthfully every single one of these students I'm with make me smile on a daily basis. We have all gotten really close and we've already made memories that will be in my heart forever. Our teachers are AMAZING !!!! Classes are actually really interesting. Well, time to do homework, write more later(:

1 comment: